Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Greatest Man



The Greatest Man



The greatest man I ever knew

was 5’11”, strong and true.


His hands were big;

his heart was too.

And with his love, his children grew.


He put in long hours six days a week.

But, he never complained,

He was truly unique.


There wasn’t a thing he couldn’t do,

from building brick walls,

to mending our shoes.


He taught us our values;

he taught us our prayers.


He taught us to love;

He taught us to care.


The greatest man I ever knew,

Was my dad,

Don, I love you.


My dad lost his long struggle with cancer Monday morning at 5:20 a.m. And though he was mostly unconscious on Fathers Day, we spent it together and long through the night too.

He woke up once for medication, grabbed my hand and said, "My angel". Those were his last words to me.

My prayer was that I could be with him when he passed away. God answered my prayer and I am most grateful.

Please keep his soul in your prayers, and if you would, offer one up for my mom.

Thank you all,

Lisa




11 comments:

Nancy Shuman said...

My prayers are with ALL of you. The photo of a sturdy man sipping "tea" says it all.... he was big enough to bend.

May he be in joy and peace with God. Again, prayers for you. And particular ones for your mother.

cynthia perez said...

Such beautiful words. May he rest in peace and may our lord give you and your loved ones especially your mom the strength to get through these tough days ahead.

Daily Grace said...

Thank you for your kind words and your prayers Nancy, particularly those for my mom.

God bless

Ed Sousa said...

Lisa, we are so sorry to hear about the passing of your dear Father. We are keeping you all in our prayers.
Our son Fr. Edward will remember him in his celebrations of the Holy Mass.

Daily Grace said...

Oh, thank you so much Ed. Tell Fr. Edward I said thank you and I will let my mother know. God is good and I will be forever grateful to him for the gift of my dad.

God bless

Daily Grace said...

Thank you Cynthia. God bless

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praying for your father and for all of you.

May the Good Lord bless you all at this particularly difficult time.

Daily Grace said...

Thank you Victor.

Do Not Be Anxious said...

As I count down the final hours of my own mother's life, I very much understand what a hole in your life the death of a parent is. It can never be filled; the memory can never go away, but you can go on, not healed but strengthened.

Your father and mother not only gave you life, they taught you love, the purpose of life. And like every family parting, it is only until you are together again.

I pray for your dad, and you and your mom. You are as much a blessing to them, as they are to you. Live you life accordingly. Make them proud.

Michael said...

DG - My prayers for your father, you and your family. He sounds like a wonderful person - which is probably why our Lord wanted him in Heaven!

God Bless you.

Anne Bender said...

Dear Lisa,

I am so sorry that I am finding this post so late. Please know of my prayers for your father's soul and for you and your mother. Your poem and the picture are priceless!

Eternal rest grant unto Don, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.