Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Time For Change


The real risk that we run in calling upon the living God, is not that we might wake God up. Rather, the danger is that God might awaken us. [We] might open our eyes to the ways that God is ever present with us. [He] has been right under our noses, waiting for us to notice. 1

Life seems like a ride in the fast lane with the radio on loud. Pedal to the floor, two hands on the wheel; if we take time to check our blind spot before making that lane change we congratulate ourselves for driving defensively. 

Our cars become our homes away from home. And, if we slow down just a moment to look around the inside of our highway homes we might have to admit that the surroundings reflect the messy, disarray of how we are living our lives.

Half drank soda cans, fast food wrappers, jacket, sports uniforms and gym bags, are just a small part of the rubble inside. 

We are all so busy being busy.

Texting has replace phone conversation with family and friends. And, Facebook supposedly gives us the feeling that we are in touch with one another.

There are many times, exhausted and empty, that we cry out to the Lord to help us. But, we think he is going to answer us as quickly as we operate our lives and when he does not, we easily  become discouraged and continue on in the same manner that lead us to this emptiness in the first place.

Nothing changes. 

Last weekend, my husband and I attended the Medjugorje Peace Conference in Irvine, CA. During the Eucharistic Liturgy on Friday evening, Fr. Joe Grbes, OFM, asked how many of us attended the conference last year. Many peoples raised their hands. Then he asked us, “How have you changed? Are you different than you were last year?”  If you had not changed, what prevented you from changing, and why did you come back this year? What is it going to take to make you change?

His comments made me stop and think, as I looked around, I saw many expressions that lead me to believe that other people might be asking themselves the same question.
God is ever present to us all the time. He is trying to wake us up. He is trying to get us to slow down long enough to take a look at our lives. He is calling us to change. He calls us to union with him, it's up to us to give him our "yes", our "fiat".

“Dear Children! I am looking at you and in your hearts I don not see joy. Today I desire to give you joy of the Risen One, that He may lead you and embrace you with His love and tenderness. I love you and I am praying for your conversion without ceasing before my son Jesus. Thank you for having responded to my call.” BVM, Medjugorje, October 25, 2011.


11 comments:

CWrites said...

A beautiful and at the same time challenging - in a good way - post. Thank you. I also love the quote from BVM which really is striking a theme for me from the past couple of days.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

This is a brilliant post. Thank you.

It's true that life these days has become so complicated that we spend our time hurrying rather than living life.

God bless.

Anne said...

What a great post! Pedal to the metal with the radio blasting, that describes me too well, I'm sad to say. Life races by and I accomodate the pace all to easily. I love your opening quote-God might awaken us!

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful read. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Mary N. said...

This is an excellent post, DG. We do live in a crazy, rush-rush, world and I believe God is trying to wake us up too. I guess it's hard for people because we have been immersed in this culture for so long that it seems "normal" for most people when it is really anything but "normal".

Holly said...

Pay it Forward @ A Life Size Catholic Blog is up and running on a new schedule. I will post the first week of the month from here on out. This will accommodate my new crazy school schedule and allow us to continue to celebrate the best of the best on the Internet and in the blogosphere. The Linky is open now and until the 7th of November. I hope you will continue to share your blog posts with us. You have been such blessing in my life and the lives of other bloggers in our community!

God bless!

the booklady said...

The fruit of silence is prayer.
The fruit of prayer is faith.
The fruit of faith is love.
The fruit of love is service.
The fruit of service is peace.

Have a blessed All Hallow's Eve! ^j^

Daily Grace said...

Colleen, I am so glad that Our Lady's words touched you. I hope you have a wonderful week and God bless.

Thank you too Victor!

Thank you Anne, JBR and Mary, and booklady!

Anonymous said...

This explains our lives completely. We do need to listen to Our Lady's wake up call

Do Not Be Anxious said...

"Have you changed?" I love the question. We're called to grow in holiness, but how often do we ask ourselves: "Have I grown?"

I'm reading a book on the works of mercy, and it challenges you to measure your progress in giving mercy. Measuring our progress in holiness is certainly a good thing to do --- as part of a new year's resolution?

Daily Grace said...

DNBA, Sometimes I think we all need to take a personal inventory on our spiritual growth. At least I need too!

What's the name of the book you are reading? It sounds interesting!