Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Persistence


The jelly beans were in a glass jar up on top of the counter when my granddaughter, just under the age of two, quickly spotted them. Her grandpa had given them to her before and she remembered how much she had enjoyed them.


She ran over to the counter, looked over at me with expectation and said, “Candy”. I gave her a few of them and walked away, thinking I had satisfied her, only to hear cry out louder, “Candy”. “I just gave you candy “, I replied. “Candy, candy, please!” she continued.

Though I was reluctant to give more at that time, she was so persistent, I eventually gave into handing her a few more.

God requires that we be persistent. Recall the parable that Jesus tells about the necessity of praying and never losing heart. 1

"In a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man.

"There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, 'Give me legal protection from my opponent.'

"For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, 'Even though I do not fear God nor respect man,

yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out.'"

And the Lord said, "Hear what the unrighteous judge said;

now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them?

"I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:2-8

God wants to demonstrate His love for us by responding to the needs we present to Him. 2

Prayer: Lord, we are your children, may we always look to you with expectant faith , knowing you care about our every need.

(1,2) Benkovic, Johnnette. Full of Grace : Woman and the Abundant Life, Servant Publication. 1998 ed.

1 comment:

Mary N. said...

I just found your blog on Catholic mothers online. I read some of your posts and found them very beautiful :)