Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Advocate

And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind and it filled the entire house in which they were.
Acts 2: 1-2


The days were absolutely gorgeous while we were in Medjugorje, nothing but blue sky and sunshine. Each day my daughter and I would walk from the home where we were staying to the downtown village where St. James Parish is located. We would walk alongside of vineyards, huge vegetable gardens and watch the children climbing fruit trees. The village women gathered on the paths to sell rosary beads, linen tablecloths and local honey.  Occasionally we would encounter the neighborhood peacock that proudly guarded his own yard. It was a walk we looked forward to each day.

But this particular morning we gathered into small vans with the other pilgrims in our tour group. We were going to visit a group of Franciscan nuns that had relocated their convent to the Medjugorje area after their original convent had been bombed by the communists.

Sister Janja (pronounced YAN ya), one of the original people to help the visionaries while they were still children, spoke with us about the broken crucifix that hung on the chapel wall. This crucifix, which the nuns had brought with them, had hung in their previous chapel. Sister told us that though the communists had broken this cross, she and her Franciscan community took it here with them to symbolize that we all have broken Christ in our lives.

After Sister Janja spoke, Fr. Patrick Crowley, SS.CC., our spiritual director while in Medjugorje, held mass for us in the nuns chapel. As he was praying for an increase or outpouring of the Holy Spirit among us , a strong wind shook the chapel walls and stained glass windows. The doors blew open and slammed shut with unbelievable force and the crowd inside began to praise God loudly, some of them sang praises in tongues. It was truly amazing.

Father, a very humble man, smiled and stated that the Lord had let us witness a small version of Pentecost. Ask and you shall receive!

The good Lord always wants to share His gifts with His children. And just as Christ gave us the Advocate which is the Holy Spirit, we, too, are called to be advocates for Christ Jesus in the world today. May we continue to pray for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Lord, send out your Spirit, and renew the face of the earth. Ps 104


8 comments:

joanhosek@att.net said...

Lisa, this is a very beautiful memory of Pentecost in Medjugorje.
Thank you for sharing. I hope you don't mind, I sent it on to Father Pat.

Sharon said...

Ah, Lisa...wish I could have been there with you, and as I was reading your account of the experience, I could 'see' it happening (yes, we are visual people, aren't we?). Thank you, and my God continue to bless you and 'renew our families and the face of the earth'..Sharon

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you Daily Grace for sharing this experience with us.

May God bless you always.

Abbey's Road said...

Oh how wonderful this must have been. I could envision everything you described. It was such a blessing to be able to visit Medjugorje ... I hope that I will be able to go one day. It's the "trip of our lives" that my daughter and I want to make together.

Blessings and Peace,
Abbey

Daily Grace said...

Abbey,

I hope you get to go there with your daughter! I will remember you and her in my prayers.

Blessings!

the booklady said...

Beautiful! Thank you! It's been awhile since I watched the movie "Gospa" but as it was instrumental in bringing me back to deeper understanding of Mary's role in my life, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Medjugorje.

God bless you!

ls said...

It is a dream of mine to make it to Medjugorge someday. It sounds like a slice of heaven there. Thank you for sharing this. God Bless you!
Lynn

Daily Grace said...

Lynn, I hope you get to go, it is both beautiful and peaceful!

Also, I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and for commenting!

Peace always!